Become a Mentor
Important Notice:We are temporarily not accepting Mentor applications while we work on a site redesign, improve our data management and streamline our application processes. If you'd like to be the first to know when we reopen applications, sign up here for our Mentor applicant wait list. Thanks for your interest and your patience!
How to Become a Local MentorThank you for your interest in becoming a Local Mentor for DiaperFreeBaby!
Local Mentors enjoy a sense of camaraderie and belonging within a global setting. DiaperFreeBaby has over 70 Local Groups around the world, each led by a dedicated Local Mentor. Mentors draw regularly upon the experiences of each other as they seek to meet the needs of their particular groups. While most Mentors fulfill their public service requirement by holding regular meetings, others are participating in outreach through local events and advocacy activities. There is a sense of pride in being a Mentor, as well there should be: the organization rests upon the grassroots efforts of these important volunteers.
RequirementsIn order to apply to be a Local Mentor, you should:
- Be in agreement with the Mentor Responsibilities (listed below)
- Have three months of experience practicing EC regularly
- Have knowledge of nighttime EC - through experience or reading
- Have started practicing EC with a child younger than one year old [if you have started later than one year, please contact us to discuss your specific situation]
Mentor Responsibilities1. Mentors will engage in unpaid public advocacy work in their local communities on a regular basis.
2. Keep DiaperFreeBaby informed of activities that you are doing on its behalf and the state of the local Group in accordance with standardized communication channels.
3. Keep up-to-date on DiaperFreeBaby support and organizational information by participating in the Mentors and Representatives subgroup of our site at BigTent.
4. Help DiaperFreeBaby to renew itself by actively working with people interested in becoming Mentors.
5. Support DiaperFreeBaby by being a Member. (Note: While annual paid membership is encouraged for Mentors outside the United States, it is not currently required due to economic disparities and issues such as exchange rates and the cost of International Money Orders.) Membership is discounted for Mentors. The support of Mentors allows us to maintain our 501(c)3 status.
DiaperFreeBaby will provide support to you that will include, among other things, resources for planning, publicizing, organizing and running meetings; and discussion and support for helping people with EC-related questions.
ApplicationDiaperFreeBaby operates a quarterly application cycle for Mentorship. Applications are available by request in the months of February, May, August, and November. **However, if you are applying to replace a Mentor in your area who would like to retire, you may apply out of cycle.**
Part One: When you request an application, you will receive a two-page document consisting of approximately 15 short-answer questions. Successful completion of this part will result in a request for a phone interview. You will also be asked to complete Part Two.
Part Two: Part Two is detailed below. Please note: Applications must be completed in the month in which they are begun. In the interest of efficiency, you may wish to begin on the second (longer) part at any time. You will then be asked to "sign" a formal Agreement that outlines your relationship to DiaperFreeBaby as a Mentor.
Successful completion of this part will result in your approval as an Apprentice Mentor, a title you will have for 3 months.
To request an application, write to our Mentor Application Coordinator.
Application Part TwoOnce Part One of an application is approved, an applicant is asked to complete Part Two. Part Two currently includes three sections:
SECTION ONE: Read one of the following books and write a summary of your impression:
- Diaper Free! The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene by Ingrid Bauer
- Infant Potty Training by Laurie Boucke
- The Diaper-Free Baby by Christine Gross-Loh
SECTION TWO: Review the following sections of the DiaperFreeBaby Web site:
- About DiaperFreeBaby
- Practicing EC
- Infant Pottying Today
- Resources and Links
SECTION THREE: Writing:
- Consider the DiaperFreeBaby philosophies and describe how you incorporate them in your family.
Created on 08/09/2006 06:14 PM by robin
Updated on 11/25/2013 04:29 PM by lisab